Working while studying

Working in Australia

There are plenty of off-campus and some on-campus opportunities to work part-time while you are studying.

Popular jobs include:

  • Retail sales in supermarkets, departmental stores
  • Wait staff and bar-tending
  • Working in kitchens, housekeeping or hospitality administration
  • Fruit-picking
  • Call-centre work
  • Administration

Part-time work is also a great way to make new friends and broaden your social connections.

You can even develop your English language skills - and work tutoring people in your native language as a way to earn money.

It can also help you get ready for the workforce when you graduate.

You cannot start working until the first day of your course. Student visas permit you to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during study periods and unlimited hours during study breaks.

You'll need to apply for a Tax File Number through the Australian Taxation Office.

Find more information about how tax works for international students studying in Australia.

It is up to each student to check and understand the conditions of their visa and make sure they are doing the right thing.

Finding part-time work

Once you have enrolled with Charles Sturt University, our student portal has career services support and advice to help you get started looking for a job.

Some of our campuses offer an Earn as You Learn program that serves as a great starting point for part-time work.

Your rights at work

You are not on your own when you come to live and study in Australia.

The Fair Work Ombudsman can give you information and advice about your workplace rights and obligations.

You can find information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and other entitlements in the Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT).