Life in Australia

What is it like to live and study in Australia? Find out about the Australian way of life and imagine yourself as a student at Charles Sturt University.

If you are seriously thinking about learning in another country, you'll have hundreds of questions about what it is like and will you fit in?

Trust us, it is amazing. So while we can't answer everything, here are a few talking points to give you a taste of what to expect from a real Australian study experience.

  • Culture and lifestyle

    Australian people are friendly and welcoming. We are a country known for our cultural diversity.

    We are a multicultural country, with 29% of our population born overseas and more than 260 languages spoken in Australian homes. After English, the most common languages are Mandarin, Italian, Arabic, Cantonese and Greek.

    If you have an interest in sports or a specific hobby like chess or cosplay, one way to immerse yourself into student life is through our many clubs and societies.

    Each campus has a range of groups you can join. Clubs and societies offer you the chance to meet and network informally with other students. If you have an interest in something and a club does not exist, you could consider starting your own group as a way to meet people with a similar interest.

  • Environment

    Charles Sturt University is based in the state of New South Wales (NSW) which borders the states of Queensland, Victoria and South Australia.

    We have campuses in some of the fastest-growing regional cities in NSW, which means you'll get the best of city living with the benefits of a regional lifestyle.

    Each Charles Sturt campus is unique and home to Australian native wildlife such as kangaroos, koalas and kookaburras.

  • Climate

    NSW lies in a temperate zone. This means the weather is relatively mild with well-defined seasons that feature hot summers and cold winters.

    Average temperatures at our main campuses are:

    • Albury: 17–31°C (63°F–89°F) in summer and 3–12°C (39–55°F) in winter.
    • Bathurst:  14.5–27°C (58°F–82°F) in summer and 1–12°C (34–54°F) in winter.
    • Port Macquarie: 19–26°C (67°F–80°F) in summer and 8.5–18°C (48–65°F) in winter.
    • Orange: 18.5–27°C (57°F–81°F) in summer and -0.5–10°C (31–51°F) in winter.
    • Wagga Wagga: 18–31°C (65°F–89°F) in summer and 3.8–12.7°C (39–55°F) in winter.
  • Getting around

    There are many options for transport on and around our campuses.

    Public transport

    You can catch a local bus service to get to and from most of our campuses. To find out about public transport near your campus, check the Transport NSW website.

    To use public transport in NSW you will need an Opal card, an electronic ticket where you load up a prepaid card with money for travel.

    Driving a car

    You can drive in Australia with a valid international driver's license.

    If your driver's license is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an English translation from an accredited source.  Learn more about licensing here.

    Familiarise yourself with the NSW road rules before you start driving. Each state in Australia has its own road rules and there are penalties for not following them.


    Riding a bike is a great way to get around and see your new town.

    Our Port Macquarie campus is close to many bike trails, including a 4km shared path along the beach. Some of our campuses also have bike parking, showers and change rooms. Check what's on offer at your campus.

    In Australia, you must always wear a helmet when cycling.

  • Health and safety

    Australia is generally a safe place to live and our health system is considered one of the best in the world.

    At Charles Sturt, we have a range of services and information available to help keep you healthy and happy.

    If you need medical attention in Australia, your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) should cover:

    • Visits to the doctor
    • Some hospital treatment
    • Ambulance cover
    • Limited pharmaceuticals (medicines)
  • Banking and finance

    When you arrive, you might want to open a bank account in Australia. To do this, you will need:

    • Your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
    • Your passport and other forms of identification
    • Your Australian Tax File Number (TFN), available from the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

    Find out about Australian currency. You can transfer money from overseas via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to your Australian bank