Government assistance

The Australian Government offers students ways to help make education more affordable, through student contribution and tuition fee loans, living allowances and scholarships.


    You may be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan to pay for your studies. A HECS-HELP loan can be used to cover the student contribution fee if you're enrolled as Commonwealth supported place (CSP). Please note residency requirements for eligibility exist.

    A HECS-HELP loan will cover all or part of your course fees. You’ll gradually repay your HECS-HELP loan through the taxation system once your income reaches a certain threshold.

    Please note, a HECS-HELP loan won’t cover costs like accommodation, laptops or text books or the Student Services and Amenities Fee.


    As a fee-paying student, you're responsible for paying the tuition fee for each subject in your course.

    You may be eligible for a loan to help pay for tuition fees through the Australian Government's FEE-HELP program.

  • Youth Allowance

    Youth Allowance offers financial help if you're between 16 and 24 years old and studying full-time. Find out if you're eligible.

  • Austudy

    If you're 25 or over and studying an approved, full-time course with Charles Sturt, you may be eligible for Austudy.

    Full-time secondary education courses, graduate courses, undergraduate courses, as well as some master's degrees, diplomas and TAFE courses are all Austudy approved.


    ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices.

    To be eligible for ABSTUDY, you must be all of the following:

    • Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian descent
    • identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian
    • accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
    • an Australian citizen and normally live in Australia
    • covered under 1 of the 7 ABSTUDY Awards
    • be studying an approved course or doing an Australian Apprenticeship.
  • Other Centrelink assistance payments

    If you're a single parent, pensioner, or non-school leaver, you may be eligible for a one-off payment or ongoing assistance to help you pay for university study.

    Find out more at Centrelink students and trainees

  • Government scholarships

    If you're living away from home, there are two government scholarships available to assist with living and study costs:

Find out more at Study Assist

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?