Commonwealth supported places

Current students should refer to the Current Student’s course fees page for more information.

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) is where the government pays part of your subject fees. This part payment is a subsidy, not a loan, and you don't have to pay it back.

This subsidy does not cover the entire cost of your subject fees. The remaining portion is called the 'student contribution', and you are responsible for paying this.

If you are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan you can:

  • Receive a HECS-HELP loan for the full student contribution amount
  • Make a full upfront payment of your student contribution by the census date
  • Make a partial upfront payment of the student contribution and receive a HECS-HELP loan for the balance.

If you hold an Australian permanent resident visa you are required to pay all of your student contribution by the census date of each teaching period.

You can read more about CSP and HECS-HELP eligibility on the Government’s StudyAssist webpage.

What happens if I'm not a CSP?

In some courses, there aren't any CSPs and other courses might have limited CSPs (not all courses and providers offer the same).

If you are not offered a CSP, you will be enrolled in a full fee-paying place where the government does not pay the subsidy and you pay the full amount for your fees.

Check if you can get a FEE-HELP loan to pay your full fee-paying fees.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?