The below is a summary of your responsibilities and visa requirements if you are an international student studying in Australia on a student visa.

This should be read in conjunction with the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website and the Charles Sturt University’s Academic Policies.

For a full list of your visa conditions please visit  the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) Visa Details and Conditions

Visa compliance is your responsibility

The University will monitor your enrolment and provide you with an appropriate period in which to rectify the issue or appeal.   If you still do not to meet your responsibilities/visa conditions, the University will notify DHA, who may cancel your student visa.

Maintain your contact details

Once you arrive in Australia, you must notify CSU of your current address and onshore contact details. You can do this by updating Your Personal Details in the CSU Student Portal

You must continue to advise CSU of any changes to your address, phone number and email address within 7 days of any change

Maintain your enrolment

To be compliant with your visa conditions, you must:

  • enrol in 4 subjects per session
  • enrol in mostly ‘on-campus’ subjects
  • one third of your course can be done online however you must be enrolled in at least one ‘on-campus’ subject each session
  • enrol only in subjects that are part of your course structure
  • only reduce the number of subjects if approved by the Division of Student Administration in compassionate or compelling circumstances, or if you are struggling academically
  • do not take leave from your course except if approved for exceptional circumstances (for example for compassionate or compelling reasons or if it is part of an approved intervention plan to address unsatisfactory progress).
  • do not transfer campus, course or provider in the your first session

For more information, contact the Division of Student Administration

Maintain satisfactory academic progress

To achieve satisfactory academic progress at CSU you must:

  • pass more than 50% of your subjects in each session
  • pass your key subjects within two attempts (key subjects for your course can be identified by the key subjects tool or are outlined in the CSU Handbook)
  • complete your course within the duration of your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)

If you do not achieve satisfactory academic progress in a session, CSU will implement an intervention strategy.

If you do not make satisfactory course progress in a second consecutive compulsory study period, CSU may notify you in writing of its intention to report you to DHA for unsatisfactory progress. This notice will outline the appeal process available to you.

For more information see:

Pay your fees on time

You must have sufficient funds to support yourself and to pay for your studies in Australia

You must pay your fees by the date specified on the invoice sent to you

Adhere to work conditions

You must not work more than 40 hours a fortnight during session

For more information see:

Maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

You must maintain Health Cover for the duration of your visa

Maintain good character

You must not be involved in any disruptive, harmful, or violent activities

Do not engage in criminal activity

You must not engage in criminal conduct or commit any criminal offence


If you would like to appeal a decision, details on how to lodge an appeal will be outlined in any communication regarding the decision or in procedures under the relevant policy.

For more information see:


The University Ombudsman is an impartial and confidential resource for seeking to address university-related problems, complaints or concerns.

The Ombudsman can provide information and guidance on rights and responsibilities, University regulations and procedures, and mediation between conflicting parties.

The University Ombudsman cannot make an academic assessment of any work and is unable to comment on the academic merit or content of submitted works.

For information on how to make a complaint, please visit:

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?