Future international students should obtain official advice on the student visa application process and requirements from the Australian Department of Home Affairs website.

See also the Australian Department of Education and Training's International Student Fact Sheet

Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF)

On 1 July 2016, Australia made a number of changes to its student visa processes. These changes include the introduction of a simplified student visa framework (SSVF).

Under SSVF:

  • all international students will now apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
  • all international students will be required to apply for their student visa online
  • a new immigration risk framework will be used to guide the evidence of English language and financial capacity that a student needs to provide with their visa application.

As an international applicant for study in Australia you will be required to undertake an interview assessment to determine whether you are a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) to Australia. You will be contacted by Admissions for a CSU GTE assessment if your agent has not already completed one with you, and at this stage the CSU Admissions Team will notify you of any other conditions that must be met. Once our Admissions Office are satisfied, you will be notified and can then finalise your course and Overseas Student Health Cover payments.

Please note that receiving a positive CSU GTE assessment does not guarantee you a student visa. The Australian Government will assess each visa application on a case by case basis.

Up front tuition fees

To comply with the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship's Simplified Student Visa Framework, Charles Sturt University (CSU) requires international students who intend to study on campus in Australia (for two years or more) from a country of citizenship considered low immigration risk to pay their tuition fees upfront for one full session, and international students from a country of citizenship considered high immigration risk are required to pay their tuition fees upfront for two full sessions.

For more information on how much you will need to pay upfront please email CSU Admissions.

Temporary Graduate Visa

The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485), allowing eligible international students to live and work in Australia temporarily after completion of university studies, is now available. These arrangements allow graduates who have completed a Bachelor degree or Masters by coursework degree in Australia on a student visa for a period of at least two academic years to apply for a two-year post-study work visa. Graduates who have completed a Masters degree by research or a Doctoral degree will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa for three or four years respectively.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?