Visas and regulations

You must have a current student visa while you are a student in Australia.

Student Visa Information

International students who wish to study onshore at Charles Sturt University are required to have a valid Australian student visa. To be eligible to apply for a student visa, applicants must have an offer of admission.

To be granted a student visa, you must also satisfy a set of requirements imposed by the Department of Home Affairs. These requirements vary according to each student's nationality and proposed level of study.

In very broad terms, assessment for student visa applications is undertaken in four categories - Financial, English Proficiency, Health and Other Conditions.

Student Visa Conditions

All student visas are issued with a series of conditions which you must follow during your period of study. Student visas are issued with the following minimum conditions:

  • You are limited to the amount of hours you can work while your course is in session.
  • You must remain enrolled in your course and maintain satisfactory course progress.
  • You must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for example, that you continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in Australia.
  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia.
  • You must tell the University where you are staying in Australia and must tell us within seven days if your contact details change.

There are a number of other possible conditions which may be/are imposed and the meaning of each of these can be checked on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Student visas are normally issued for the duration of the course or the package of courses but Department of Home Affairs has the discretion to vary this for each applicant.

If a student does not maintain adequate academic progress and consequently needs to extend their studies beyond the completion date on their eCOE then they will need to apply for a new student visa to allow them to stay in Australia to complete their course. A new student visa is not guaranteed.

How to apply for a student visa

To apply for a student visa in your home country before leaving Australia, please contact the Immigration Section of the Australian Diplomatic Mission (the Australian High Commission, Consulate or Embassy) or use the services of an authorised Charles Sturt University International Agent.

It may take up to six months to apply for and obtain a student visa from some countries. The application steps are:

  1. apply to study at Charles Sturt University
  2. once we have received and assessed your application, we'll send you a Letter of Offer is you are eligible.
  3. accept your offer and pay your academic fees
  4. once we have received payment, we will send you an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE).
  5. you might be required to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process.
  6. submit your visa application form and pay the applicable fee,

A detailed 'Step by Step' guide to obtaining a student visa is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Your student visa obligations

The Australian Government requires visa holders to ensure that they meet the obligations and conditions of their visa type. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that they comply with these obligations and conditions at all times. Your enrolment at Charles Sturt University may be cancelled for failing to meet the University's policies and procedures and the University is required by Australian Law to report any breaches of visa conditions, which may include:

  • Not paying your fees.
  • Not maintaining satisfactory course progress.
  • Failing to maintain a full-time load without Charles Sturt University permission.
  • Failure to enrol in a term of study.
  • Academic or general misconduct.

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?